Friday, June 19, 2009

Slow and Steady...

...wins the race!

I've surprised myself with this little fable and wait for it - I actually do believe it!

Three years ago I would have scoffed at this common little saying and defended my fervent belief it was something we say to losers to make them feel better about themselves - and well, their complete lack of speed. I mean c'mon let's face it, the rabbit only lost because he was arrogant and stopped for something to eat (sound familiar?) giving the turtle the opportunity to pass!

However, now days in my 'successful-loser' frame of mind, I have realised the benefits of losing weight slowly and steadily.

I am currently in my 6th week of Weight Watchers and have lost a grand total of 3.8kgs, which also equates to a 5% body fat percentage loss! HOWZAT! (How very 'occa' of me).

Years ago I would have thrown the towel in by now disgusted at my lack of success, based on my own unrealistic goal setting. I was the token Biggest-Loser-watcher who had aspiration's of losing 4 kilos per week and reaching my 20 kilogram weight loss goals within a couple of months. No wonder I quit! I was never before prepared to invest the TIME (or sweat) the task required! After a couple of weeks, I'd be sitting back on my laurels and indulging in my usual lazy ways, cursing my body and it's inability to lose weight. I was never prepared to curse the real source behind my failings - MY inability to put the food down and get off the couch.

Here I am 3 years later and I am still aspiring to get to goal. You know what though, that's A-OK with me! My own experiences have demonstrated to me that realistic weight losses, such as 300 grams per week, are the kind which I can easily maintain and keep off! The fleeting times where I've lost in excess of a kilo are generally the weeks where I congratulate myself with a box of Cadbury Roses (You ought to be congratulated and all that jazz - Oh wait, that catchy little tune was for a butter advert right? Heh, chocolate/butter same consequence) and suffer the following week.

I am currently attending WW's meetings with baby sis, Angel, and some good friends. It's fantastic to have the support network each week. We are like a little bunch of 'weight-loss groupies' all getting together each Wednesday night to cheer each other on with our successes and offering a shoulder (or a carrot stick) for our gains. However, one thing which I have noticed as a distinct difference is that I joyfully-leap off the scales after losing 200 grams feeling elated and letting off a few victory-air punches as I go (after-all, I'm still having my wine with dinner, my treats on occasion and am NOT counting food points as WW's suggest you do). My friends however view a number less then a kilo as a possible failing on their behalf.

It's not their fault of course - socially we are so geared to expect weight loss success to happen instantly. We are so inundated with 'quick fixes' and alternatives to genuine hard-work and self-control that we have come to expect nothing less then success served up in large numbers (like our portion sizes) and instant results. I want to shake them all and remind them how fantastic they are doing - a loss is a loss after all, and in this particular instant I DO believe, in fact I know, that slow and steady does win the weight-loss race!

No comments: