Monday, July 5, 2010

Dry July - Weekend 1 down, 3 to go.

Well, I did it, I survived the first weekend of my month long fling with sobriety.  Despite a few fleeting moments where I thought I might crack, and wondered what on earth I had gotten myself into, I can proudly say I stuck to my guns (read: mineral water) and made it over the first hurdle.  Weekend number 1 of 4.

I can't deny that having a head cold at present may have made the task slightly easier.  However, I also entertained the thought that being sick might be my body's way of enacting revenge for taking away a life-source, wine and therefore, I should return it immediately.  Hand on my heart I swear I didn't though.

I officially put down my 'drinking hand' (Dry July's slogan), on Wednesday the 30th June. I have an event not-to-be-missed on the 31'st July, for which my honorary mother-in-law has purchased me a Golden Ticket (night off sobriety) for a farewell cocktail party she is hosting. I figure I'll be a cheap addition to her soiree with one cocktail almost guaranteed to have me tiddly (and the life of the party) after my month off.  Surely it's like virginity you know, 12 months of abstinence and some would call you a virgin again, by this logic a month off the wine should make me a teenage girl again.

Aside from the amazingly good cause all funds raised go to, the nuts and bolts of the operation is also my desire to lose the weight I have gained since commencing uni.  I weighed myself on Friday, 02nd July and am ashamed, embarrassed and horrified to report that my weight has increased by 7...yes, you read that correctly, 7 kilos!  *insert crying (make that howling) emoticon here*. 

After crying, swearing, kicking, pleading, and bribing the Wii fit scales to check again, only to be repeatedly appalled, I have decided to accept the cruel fate my food choices have led me to, and knuckle down.  So July will not only be the month of sobriety, but also the month of "Get-your-arse-into-gear-and-lose-the-weight month". 

Muscle Man is of course fabulous when it comes to all things Muscle, so he has taken on the challenge of motivating me to put down the chocolate and pick up the weights instead.  So far he needs a little improvement as he has seemingly failed to notice my oral fixation aka: need to eat anything in-sight to detract from the shiny new set of wine glasses Sexy Twin bought me last week just waiting to be christened.  A lovely gesture, or a cruel taunt- you be the judge.

On that note, either the pantry or my bed is calling, so wish me luck as I attempt to bypass one to get to the other ;o)

Alfie xx

2 comments:

Chris said...

Oh hun I can sympathise with you. I hopped on the scales the other day as I have been in denial (well except for the huge muffin top hanging over my jeans and the buttons on my jacket bulging) and I have gained 5 kg's in a few months. I am blaming it on me turning 30 and not all the chocolate and comfort food I have been consuming lately.

Wish you all the best with your Dry July! I will have a glass of red for you....ok make that a bottle.

Alfie said...

Yes, please do :o) A nice smooth Merlot or a Cab Sav would be divine xo

P.S - Good luck with your weight loss, although I know you don't need it ;)