Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dry July

I've taken the leap - it's not even a step - it's a full blown throw-myself-of-a-cliff-and-hope-for-the-best-leap. 

What could be so dramatic I hear you ask, well, wait for it...I am participating in "Dry July".  A fairly recent initiative that encourages participants to lay off the booze for the entire month of July and raise funds for adults living with cancer. I'm nervous, excited, anxious, and craving wine all at the same time.  In other words, off to a rip-roaring start.

In truth, and much to my parents horror, with the exception of pregnancy I haven't had more than a week off alcohol since College.  Now I am not talking full-blown binging night after night, week after week, but even the odd glass of wine with dinner has been a regular feature in my life.  I love wine, I love food that goes with wine, I love learning about wine.  Some of my favourite holidays have included wine tastings and jaunts around some of Australia's best wine regions. You get the picture. Needless to say I am slightly anxious about 31 days without wine featuring in my life. 

Why am I doing this then?  I've been asking myself the same question.  There are a few reasons though.  The main one being that my Nan died of cancer a number of years ago and was treated at the hospital where all my fundraising would go, this alone seemed like a good enough reason to let my wine glass gather some dust and enjoy a well earned rest, the other main reason is of course health and weight related.

Muscle Man, Sexy Twin and others, have heard me banging on and on about my recent weight gain and have remained tight lipped about the reasons why (and so they bloody should!).  But in my heart of hearts I know the reason I am currently sporting an extra bum cheek and back fat to match, is that I've increased my alcohol intake since commencing uni, and in turn increased my Camembert, humus, Havarti, and salami intake also.  Tut Tut. Time to knuckle down, raise some money for a fantastic cause and lose the love handles at the same time.

I'll blog throughout the month of July, if nothing else I'll need to stave off the shakes and cold sweats, so stay tuned and wish me luck.

Alfie x

1 comment:

kirsty said...

Good luck Alfie! You can do it, and I bet you will feel tonnes better at the end of the month (and lighter too I bet!)

Good to see you blogging again :)