Thursday, August 28, 2008

My 'weighty' advice!

One of the most common questions I am asked in regards to losing weight is “How did you do it?”

I myself used to ask this question of people who had lost weight. When I asked it though what I was really hoping to hear was the magic potion. The secret answer to simplistic and fast weight loss. Essentially I wanted what most of us do – A quick fix!

I must admit that even now there are times when I am asked and I hesitate before responding with the truth – hard work, sacrifice, and sheer determination. I recall personally wanting the answer to be something I could actually walk away from hearing with a renewed glimmer of hope that I too could achieve that (with minimal effort on my part).

For this reason sometimes I wish I had a magic answer I could impart for the benefit and ease of others. Sadly though the reality is that however you look at it, long-term weight loss and health are simply not things, which come with a quick fix. At some point sweat will have to be induced and foods controlled.

None the less I have some tips, which have made the ‘journey’ easier, and less regimented:

1: If you are a lover of chocolate and like me can’t always control the quantity you consume, find a substitute. Chocolate-coated liquorice, air whipped chocolate mousse, a lite hot chocolate, and carob just to name a few! Also, consider having dark chocolate with a higher cocoa content.

2: Savoury – I am admittedly a big sucker for salty chips. Salt and vinegar are the best! Whilst it’s not chips I do enjoy a good crunchy carrot cut into sticks and eaten with a lite humus or tomato salsa. Celery is just as good and a very low cal snack! Plain rice crackers are not bad either!

3: Hot chips – Another weakness of mine that has been substituted with home made ‘tata chips. Peel and roughly chop a spud. Lightly toss chips through mixed herbs, a dash of olive oil (or oil spray) and a sprinkle of sea salt. Cook in a moderate oven until nice and crispy!

4: Drink tea or have a glass of water just before you eat. A cuppa is great for suppressing deceiving hunger pangs, as it needs to be sipped slowly. In the time it takes you to drink your tea can really consider either how hungry you are or how much you want that 2nd helping.

5: Popcorn is a great low fat snack and can be purchased in individual snack size packs. Sprinkle with a little season-all or chicken salt for that extra tang!

6: Change white refined carbohydrates to multigrain or brown. Small changes can make a huge difference. Swap the white bread for multi-grain as a start and then work on the brown rice.

7: Replace soft drinks for mineral water. If you want a sweet kick to your bubbles add a splash of cordial. This small change has the potential to save HEAPS of wasted calories! I use a reduced sugar cordial such as Cottee’s diet and find this has well and truly eliminated fizzy drink cravings.

8: Pack food away before you unintentionally have that second helping. For example If you are making a sandwich at lunch make sure you pack all the ingredients away before you sit down to enjoy lunch. You are more likely to eat more if the food is still out and visible. Packing it away signals your portion size is sufficient. If you have a salad sandwich add an apple or banana to your plate to really help fill you up and signify what you are eating and how much.

9: Use fresh fruit for juice. Instead of buying pre-made juices, such as orange, pick up a bag of Valencia oranges and enjoy the real thing! Packed with more vitamin c and less sugar, you can’t go wrong.

10: Be organised. I am a big believer in the Weight Watchers saying; if you fail to plan, you plan to fail! Make healthy snacks and lunches in advance. If you are anything like me you have a propensity to eat whatever is in sight when hungry so being organised can save an “eat everything in sight” binge!

So, what’s your best tip?

No comments: