Friday, August 1, 2008

Against All Odds...

...I ran today!

Why all odds you might ask? Well put it this way, until 3pm I was still slothing about in my pyjama's and even then the only reason I got changed was because 3yr old Jim asked me to as it was "afternoon time". What are the days of lounging about in one's daggiest pj's coming to when you are asked to change by a toddler! Pfft.

None the less, change I did (into tracksuit pants mind you - big difference there!). At this point I started toying with the idea of actually christening my new shoes outside, rather than on the treadmill as tends to happen most days.

A quick phone call to Muscle Man to check what time he would be home from work and half an hour later I was off.

Canberra is a very deceiving place in Winter. From the comfort of ones home you can look outside and see a clear blue sky, golden sun, light and gentle breeze and what essentially looks like perfect running conditions. So as I set off, I was preparing myself for a lovely run with the sun slowly setting over the nearby Mountains and a nice cool breeze to soothe the sweat after the first kilometre! I'd envisioned grass parrots chirping, horses in the nearby paddock whinnying, rabbits bounding, a goofy smile on my runners high induced face....

I WAS WRONG!!

Within 2 minutes of being outside my head band and left earpiece from my iPod had blown right off. OK, not the greatest of starts but once I get my rhythm going I'll be right, I thought.

Not 500 metres beyond this I realised my right breast; correction - my only breast, was practically billowing out my top. After a seconds horror and realisation, I looked down to see my maternity bra undone. No wonder I only have one visible breast - it's bouncing some 11cm's each step I take with absolutley no support! Bra done up, take 3.

Well, the so called sun I saw from my lounge window was a cruel mirage. I was now running in absolutely freezing conditions. The clouds a grey menacing colour and rain looming on the horizon. C'mon, you can do this, was my mental chant as I was faced with blistering cold winds. My hands so called was tempted to try run with them under my arm pits, and would have if not for my vanity.

The wind I was facing was more than a simple head wind, it was a full body assault. Coming from every direction. In addition, it has actually been raining here for most of the day so rather than just running, I was having to master the art of hurdles to jump the strewn tree branches (see, blistering winds) and puddles that covered more than half the footpath.

What was I doing? Why wasn't I at home enjoying the warmth of my ducted heating watching this nasty weather unfurl from the safety of my home. No, that would have been the smart option right. Instead I am fighting (and it was a fight, I assure you) my way through winds reaching at least 100kms an hour (surely?!) and all the while acutely aware that any minute a tree branch - or at least a pile of leaves - could fly directly in front of me, dangerously blocking my vision and surely causing me to land in a puddle and DIRTY my new shoes, or at worst- fall over!

After 2kms the only option was to run as fast as my hide could carry me home. Walking was no longer an option. Despite the fact I was actually running as fast as I could, the wind was so forceful that to any passers by it would have looked like an exaggerated walk with a pained, almost constipated, expression on my face!

Finally, 7kms later I was home, and safe. Muscle Man so eloquently remarked as I floundered in the front door, I looked like a vagrant with an iPod.

See, against all odds!

1 comment:

Renee said...

I can't believe that you ventured outside today! My workout today consisted of dancing along to the Wiggles, because I had no intention of leaving the comfort of my loungeroom!

I am very impressed! Good on you for not turning around before you reached the end of your driveway!