Thursday, July 17, 2008

The art of Procrastination

Procrastination - According to some random online dictionary, the definition is as follows:

pro·cras·ti·nate: To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness.

I could be overly sensitive, but that definition is needlessly harsh, don't ya think? Some tasks just suck and quite frankly procrastination is the best defense. In fact, I'll go as far as to say, it's the smart defence!

I must admit, I have the art of procrastinating down pat. Be it waiting for the storm clouds to roll in on a sunny day to avoid hanging washing on the line (OK, that's pessimism), eating to avoid cleaning, sleeping to avoid eating, reading to avoid sleeping, emailing to avoid working...the list is endless.

When it comes to exercise I must say I procrastinate right up until the eleventh hour. Sexy Twin is very diligent when it comes to her run and schedule. She wakes up of a morning promptly feeds her baby, organises her school aged child and drives her to school before coming home, putting the baby to bed for her morning nap, and then jumping on her treadmill to belt out an inspiring 7.5km run! Sexy Twin is wiping of the last bead of sweat as I am rolling out of bed and debating how to start procrastinating my day!

I must admit, I am envious that she is so disciplined in this regard. I am envious that in many respects she has her run done and dusted whilst I am left with the knowledge that at some point in the day I am going to have to stop avoiding the inevitable, and attempt to work my arse off! That said, I am not a morning runner and generally find that my best runs are mid-late afternoon when I have coffee coursing through my veins, food in my belly, child related frustration or exhaustion to run off, and limited hours in my day to continue making excuses.

On Monday I was home from work with Jim being unwell. Bob was fast asleep and I was being habitually careless and lazy (yep, it sounds harsh). I was avoiding any form of heavy lifting, light dusting, gentle cleaning, and endless washing. I was also vehemently avoiding exercising.

To be honest I was busy making a cubby house with Jim and regaling him with childhood stories and tales from my own cubby house building days (Sexy Twin and I even made one with running water once - ya huh - cool, we know!). As Jim and I lay under the kitchen table (ahem, cubby house) which I'd dragged into the lounge and draped with blankets, I reflected on the fact that no matter what I do to avoid exercise, no matter what things 'pop up', nine out of ten times I still make the choice to go for a run or lift my weights - it just happens later than originally planned, but none the less, it happens.

At some point it's like I just snap. I realise that time is of the essence and that the feeling I will have once my run is over, is complete calm, complete satisfaction, bursts of energy and a new found vigour to *think* about other jobs at hand and face my children with a loving smile despite the observance of Jim's having wee'd down the heating vent whilst I was busy sprinting my way to a tighter butt (true story).

In this regard I suggest we change the definition of procrastination. Surely it's only careless and lazy if you don't get around to the task at hand at all. In which case I actually think my form of procrastination is admirable! No matter how lazy I try to be, I've well and truly been bitten by the endorphin bug and eventually they have me up and running. Now, where can I find the cleaning bug.....?

Here is the proof of my attempt at exercise avoidance, and yes, my toddler thinks he is the 5th Wiggle!

No comments: