Monday, July 14, 2008

Body Image and our example!

The latest edition of Health Smart magazine has hit the shelves, complete with my little tidbit to the editor of course ;o) A particular article which caught my eye instantly, titled "The Shape We're In" has a brilliant comment;

"If every women in the world woke up, slapped herself on the head and said: 'I'm happy with who I am' entire economies would collapse"

How true. Socially we are so attuned to seeing 'perfection' splashed across the television, Internet, magazine covers, billboards - everywhere - that we have this predetermined idea in our minds about what is the perfect body, what is the perfect shape.

It would seem that if you are not able to fit into a string bikini, sport the perfect golden sun kissed glow, have a scar, stretch mark, cellulite dimple in sight, and an IQ over 100, you just don't cut the mustard. You probably eat it yes, cut it no.

But when did we become so unrealistic and obsessed with body image? When did we go from worshipping curves and stunningly voluptuous womanly bodies, to craving, and promoting, waif like praying mantises.

Yes, it could be easily said I am jealous. In some part I admit I am, but surely that's based on my own learned perceptions of the 'perfect figure'. I will never be caught dead in a bikini - the fact I'd have to have it custom made to fit my so called bosoms, lefty and righty, is a large deterrent sure, but generally I accept I don't have the figure which we deem acceptable viewing when clothed in the likes of a piece of string. Not to mention one look at my array of road map stretch marks and I'd have people asking for directions!

I also will never be so thin that should I turn sideways you'd lose sight of me. Do I wish I had a sun kissed glow all year round, no cellulite, stretch marks or wobbly bits of skin? - you bet, but that said, it is my fervent belief that in this life time, it really is more important to model inner traits such as kindness, patience, acceptance and so forth.

Am I saying that being healthy, fit and sexy are not important? No, I strongly believe they are, hence my own quest to be healthier and fitter, but I also believe that you can be sexy at any shape or size. Beauty and body image is not mutually exclusive to size 8 models. To me health is FAR sexier than size.

The last few weeks I've wasted too much time and emotional energy obsessing and stressing over my own body image. I find it goes in cycles. Some weeks I will feel fabulous, exuberant and confident. Others, not so. Overwhelmingly though I am all too aware of the fact that at the heart of the issue, these things do not make a person worthy. A slender person is absolutely no more deserving or unique than a person sporting a muffin top and a vast array of chins, it's just that we are programmed to feel more favour towards thin, attractive people.

Images of attractive, slender people are splashed in front of us so often that it is no wonder if we don't fit the mould we convince ourselves on some level that we are not 'up to scratch'. Surely I am not the only one who notices advertisements featuring a leggy, waif like blonde, are then followed by Lite N Easy, Tony Ferguson or Jenny Craig. Target marketing at it's best!

One day I hope to be blessed with daughters, and the notion that they too may be exposed to the same images we are, is alarming. How can we as parents set the best examples for our children and instill values in them such as self-respect, self-belief and true beauty. The beauty that comes from within.

For Muscle Man and I we hope that our actions reflect a desire to BE healthy. A desire to live a life filled with trips to the park, Frisbee in the backyard, jumps and flips on the trampoline and a healthy attitude for exercise and nutrition.

In this vain, I realise unequivocally that I need to start setting the example by not forcing myself to engage in daily activities or exercise which are to my own detriment. I have become increasingly aware that I have at times called myself "fat" in front of Jim and that at the tender age of 3.5 he is already capable of forming, and attributing my thoughts with his impression of a "fat woman". I am ashamed to admit the above, but I do so with a view to recognise that even the smallest actions on our part, will reflect the thoughts our children will take, and make their own.

The shape I am in is a good one. I could improve on my health, I could improve on my fitness, but the most important thing I could improve is my body image!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, what a terrific post Alfie! What you said is so true and should be appluaded. For me personally, I hate my thighs and to me they have been big for as long as I can remember, they are not slender but rather muscley and rounded! But my husband can't understand what I'm on about when I whinge, and says to me in reply "you're tiny, there is nothing of you, if you got lipo on them there'd be nothing left" (yes, I often moan to him about why can't I have lipo, stuff the new deck and house reno's- why can't I just have lipo!!). But it seems nearly everyone has a hang-up about themselves, no doubt created by society's unrealistic image of 'beautiful women', and I find comfort in knowing that, and remind myself to be realistic- after all there are much more important things to worry about in this day and age than my round thighs!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Long time reader, 1st time comment leaver! LOL

I love reading you blog and have found so much inspiration from you. This post is something I have been thinking about the past few days when thinking about what I am going to look like when I come out the other side of this weight loss journey. I have been thinking about all the things I will be able to do and wear and not so much about the things I still wont be able to wear, like the bikini, I too have a road map on my tummy thanks to a small person, but it is only such a small price. I hardly go to the beach anyway so it really shouldnt bother me that much.
Keep up the good work Alfie!

Alfie said...

Thank you both SO much :o)

These are the comments that keep me coming back for more too :o)

Alfie xox