Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm Walking on Sunshine

Wooooooo~oo~oo, I'm walking on sunshine woooo~oo~oo, and don't it feel great!!

Gosh it's hard to write lyrical sounds like woooooo~oo~oo on paper! In my head (OK, I am actually singing it out loud) it sounds perfectly right though. Ever tried to type the theme music from Jaws - yeah, it's tough!

To be accurate, I am actually walking (well running) on clouds. Yesterday Muscle Man and I finally treated ourselves to new joggers. It's shameful to admit that since my post a few months back, which featured pictures of my toes poking out the side of my shoes from all the kilometres I'd run in them, I have only just replaced them. Yes. Shameful.

None the less, lectures aside, yesterday we went to the local Athletes foot and took the time to use their fancy 'footprint' system and have proper shoes fitted. I must admit that when the sales assistant came out with a pair of fluro green men's shoes, I baulked. I humoured him and tried on the pair before bluntly advising that whilst the correct fit was important to me, vanity was also, and I would not be caught dead sprinting down the street looking like I had giant boogers on my feet. That and the fact I am actually a WOMAN and would happily try on ladies shoes!

As if that wasn't bad enough I was then asked to roll my pants up to my knees so he could see me 'walk' in my new feminine shoes. "What's so bad about that" you ask, well, aside from the fact it was a work day and I was in my lunch break wearing work pants, a shirt, winter jacket and ASICS socks under my boots (yes, not even black socks or stockings - call the fashion police), I had also not shaved my legs in a number of weeks (*cough*, *splutter*...months). Suddenly the 'booger' shoes looked appealing and my claims of vanity were rapidly coming unhinged.

As I sheepishly rolled up my pants I added my disclaimer "Ummm, I'm a busy Mum of two you know, I haven't had a chance to shave my legs this week..." at which point I spied Muscle Man giving Mr Athletes foot employee a knowing glance as if to say "Yep, it's bad, and I have to live with her" (for that I ain't shaving till winter ends now).

Embarrassment aside I tried on two pairs, pranced around the shop briefly all to aware I was looking ever more ridiculous by the second and happily settled on a lovely pair of Nike running shoes.

What a difference new shoes make. I've run 15kms in them over the last two days and felt like a deer leaping through a Field of daisies. Yes, call me Bambi.

I hear by pledge that I will not leave it till I hit the "million km" mark in these shoes before I change them again. The feeling of new shoes is just to good to neglect! Can't wait to take them to the road tomorrow!

3 comments:

Lou™ said...

V. Jealous of new shoes. I am in desperate need of new runners.

Cross trainers are not nice for running long distances!

but on the leader front, I am worrid I don't have time at the moment, so that is part of my concern!

Alfie said...

Oh Lou, they feel SO good!! Honestly I ran about 10,000kms more than I should have in my last ones and by the end it felt like I was running in thongs!

I hear you on the time front! How many hours do they require I wonder?

Lou™ said...

Nah couldn't help myself.
I went today and got new runners.
I got fitted with Brooks Trance.
Nice, light but should remain stable enough for the cross training if needs be!

No idea on the hours,but they can be long.