Sunday, June 15, 2008

Incidental Exercise

Before I start this entry I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for all the amazing and humbling comments which have been left on my blog! I really appreciate it and they mean a great deal to me :)

My cousin (Dad's-sisters-daughter for anyone who cared to know) is a dietitian. Whilst she was completing her 6 week practical experience at the local hospital before her final graduation, she stayed with Muscle Man and I. Neither Jim or Bob were on the scene at this stage so it was a leisurely 6 weeks of 'wine time' after work, where 'cuz' and I would sit back with a plate of cheese, biscuits, olives, salami and a glass of chardy and talk about our days (all whilst barking orders at Muscle Man to "hurry up" with dinner - or the peeled grapes and palm frond - whichever came first!).

I spent hours quizzing her on aspects of her work, healthy eating, nutrition, allergies, and so forth. I think on a sub-conscious level I was hoping that merely talking with her would suck the excess fat right off me and evaporate it into the ether (clutching at straws much).

One of the things she mentioned during wine time, which has always stuck with me was in regards to 'incidental' exercise. Cousin pointed out to me (twas probably a subtle hint) that realistically there are times during each day, for all of us, where we can be incidentally attempting to tone our butt, tighten our abs and shed the fat; all whilst sipping on a latte and chatting on our mobile phones. Sadly though I am not referring to the little electronic nodes you can attach to your tummy ala: Kath & Kim to jiggle your way to a 6 pack (if only!).

At the time I poo-poohed this notion as I wrapped an olive in a slice of salami, covered each side with a piece of cheese before proceeding to add two layers of jatz biscuits to make a sandwich. Through a full mouth I cynically muttered "Yeah right cuz" and poured myself another wine.

We've all heard it right. At Weight Watchers meetings they casually slip it into every talk, A Current Affair and other such reputable shows (ahem) have a segment on it weekly, Dr Phil's diet book refers to it, even midwives suggest it (OK, they are talking about different muscles, but those ones require tone too). Incidental Exercise!

The suggestions to park the car further away, dabble in the garden, kick a ball around with the kids, take the stairs instead of the lift, hop off the bus or train a few stops before your usual drop off, go shopping (hey, I like this one). I realise it sounds trite, but I do believe that for many of us (myself included) this is the place to start.

As much as we all wish we could be naturally athletic and svelte with the ability to rest our entire body weight on the tip of our thumb (or is that just me?) sadly, some just aren't, and possibly never will be. When I first started to battle the bulge I would convince myself that walking 20 metres (and that is exaggerating) out my front door, to check my mail counted as my daily exercise. Talking on the phone, or typing emails counted too!

In all honesty though I did start taking the stairs, and on my many shopping expeditions I would find myself walking to the travellator at the opposite end of the mall in an attempt to get the heart rate past 80 beats per minute (my resting heart rate is about 70).

Even though I post in jest regarding hanging washing on the line and shopping, I am actually serious. We all know that at some stage the 'anti' has to be upped, but when you are starting out, walking from the car to work (rather than having your own Muscle Man drop you at the front entrance as I did), or taking stairs instead of the lift - is upping the anti!

So, for anyone who has not started with the Olympic marathon training (raises hand), and for anyone who is focusing on food choices as step number one (great work), let me encourage you to make some time each day for some incidental exercise. Oh and yes, sex counts!
********

On a side note, Muscle Man and I are joining some friends of ours this coming Saturday for a 5 or 10km fun run (haven't decided which as yet) to raise money for some random charity (must be important). Muscle Man has assured me he will pull his weight and push the pram at least half the distance. Usually I get stuck with the cumbersome thing for most of the 'family' jogs we partake together. He has also assured me he will not bleat at me like a ewe to keep up with his pace (which is a laugh as usually I slow up for him). I kindly reminded him his forte is lifting large pieces of aluminium and steel at the gym - not carving up the local footpath - he went silent!

I must admit though, I am super excited we are doing this one together and I am even more excited that after my personal successes in the Mothers Day Classic I am still keen for more rather than taking my bat and ball after my one good inning! :o)

Will let you all know how I/we go after the event (oh, and I'll blog again before then too).

3 comments:

DragonflyGal said...

You're so good with your fun run's babe!

Incidental exercise hey? I tried walking up the stairs in our building at work to the 4th level, only to discover the fire doors don't open from the stairwell to get out!

I tried walking around the shops, but after spending a heap of $$$ I realised a gym membership would be easier!

Just kidding, everything you say makes total sense!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree, there are design flaws to some 'incidental' exercise. Shopping was my down fall too - lol!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Like you, I too never realised how important incidental exercise really is! Now that I am at home busy being a mum with washing, gardening and meeting the requirements of a demanding toddler- I have never looked so good!
Even exercising an hour day whilst working full time never produced the results I have achieved now, because I spent the other 8 hours of my day on my arse!!
I still like to jog/bike/walk most days once my hubby comes home but I really think it is all those smaller activities throughout the day that add up and make a difference to your body!

Oh, and good luck with the fun run it sounds great!!

:)