Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Light Bulbs (For Nayes)

Over the years, I have had many 'light-bulb' moments.

Seeing photos of myself and realising I had barely fit in the frame of the lens, trying in vain to make my favourite pair of pants fit, seeing my refection in the shop window's at the local mall, having mirrored wardrobes in our bedroom...

Yep, there were many times where I had the "I have to lose weight' bulb go off. Sadly though, thinking it, and acting on it were two different things for me.

I, like so many others, suffered from "I'm gonna" syndrome. All talk and no action. Each new diet would begin with a list of "I'm gonna's". I am going to eat less today. I am going to exercise. I am not going to eat chocolate. I am going to be kinder to myself. I am going to eat more fruit and veg. Yep, so often it was all talk and no action.

So, how did the light switch finally stay on you may ask. You know, it's amazing for me to think about also. At times I really am just so shocked that I finally did succeed. Even when I started my journey to weight loss, better health (and habits) in June 2006, I still didn't actually think I would succeed. I desperately wanted too, but then I can honestly say I had desperately wanted too prior to that moment also, and failed. I simply assumed I would fail again.

I think for me, buying my treadmill was honestly one of the biggest factors in my choice to get serious about battling the bulge. It was such a vivid reminder each day. I'd walk into the lounge room and my treadmill would be staring at me. Calling for me to use it. To grease the belt, to wear tread marks in the mat. To push myself to my limits, and maybe one day wear the motor out from all the kilometres I'd walk/run to get into shape. I couldn't ignore the blatantly obvious fact, I no longer had a valid (were they ever) excuse to not exercise.

When I began making changes in June, I kept a journal. At the time my journal, alongside the treadmill, were my lifelines. They were the two things which reminded me each and every day that I was trying to make a difference, and I owed it to myself (and Muscle Man's bonus - which bought the 'mill) to make this work.

Each day I would write the following headings and record my thoughts/actions/intake in regards to each:

Food
Mood
Challenges
Exercise
Beverage Consumption (yep, I even wrote beverage - not just water - allowing for the vino!).

***********

Diary entry - Day 1 - 06 June, 2006
Challenges:
Actually getting on the bloody treadmill. I DON'T want to exercise. I want to wake up tomorrow and simply be the skinny girl I know is inside. THIS SUCKS!

***********

Diary entry - 11 June, 2006
This bites. Not even a week in and I am over it. Would love to drive to Hungry Jack's and chow down a Whopper burger, washed down with a Junior Whopper, and finished off with a caramel sundae. However, I have made smarter food choices and will continue to try too.
No exercise today. Can't be arsed.

**********

Diary Entry - June 14, 2006
Feeling better today. Walked on the treadmill for an hour yesterday. Still look the size of an Island but I am determined to make it a tiny one. According to 'A La Google' the World's smallest Island is called "Bishop Rock Island". They have standing room only on this Island. Yep, that's my new goal! Standing room only!

**********

Diary Entry - July 04, 2006
OK, so I got lazy with filling in my food diary :o) I've still been pretty good though (with the exception of cream based cocktails out with the girls on the weekend. Not to mention the drunken stop over at the Pizza van, and the token, must have, 'night out on town' kebab!). I've been exercising pretty much every day and am starting to feel so much better for it. I can already feel the difference in my energy levels.
Have my period at the moment so am feeling rather bloated and ergh! Determined to stay on track though and not resort to my typical monthly comfort binge.
Goals as follows: Sisters wedding. Yummy Mummy. Better pregnancy than Jim, and to be the size of Bishop Island!

***********

A typical day for me before June 2006, included foods such as hamburgers, chips, milkshakes, anything deep fried, portion overload, and everything with sugar or salt added. These days I eat foods such as the following:

Breakfast:
2 slices multi-grain toast with 2 poached eggs. No butter, pinch of salt.
2 slices multi-grain toast with thin spread of butter and Vegemite

1 cup of high fibre cereal (I try and get the ones with the least added sugar)

1 cup of cooked oats with a sprinkle of brown sugar or chopped banana and honey

Fruit smoothie. 1 Cup low fat milk, 2 tbs yogurt, sprinkle of cinnamon, 1tsp vanilla essence, 2tbs All Bran, 1 tbs honey, 1/2 cup of frozen mixed berries, or a banana.

Morning snack:
Fruit (either fresh or tinned)
Yogurt (I don't even bother with the low fat stuff - give me dairy farmers any day)
Vita wheat biscuits with low fat cheese (any savoury biscuits will do really)
1 serve of popcorn (You can buy the individual microwave portion sizes in packets of 5)
Handful of almonds and dried fruit
Celery or carrot sticks with tomato salsa or homus
Low fat muffin (I generally prefer the savoury option -will post a recipe for a spinach and feta one)
1 slice bread or toast with topping (i.e low fat cheese/jam/lite peanut butter)
Tin of tuna or salmon

* Depending on what I choose from the above list, I may have more than one item listed.

Lunch:
Multi-grain sandwich with meat and salad - ham, turkey, chicken. 1 tsp chutney or low fat mayo, or thin spread of margarine
Tuna or salmon salad (I make the garden salad and then mix tuna or salmon through and drizzle with balsamic or any oil free dressing)
2-3 Ryvita with sliced tomato, ham and low fat cheese
2-3 Ryvita with cream cheese (lite), tomato and cracked pepper
Steamed veggies with tuna or salmon (surprisingly mixing a tin of tuna through steamed peas and corn is really good)
I usually eat a piece of fruit with lunch each day.

Afternoon Snack:

Same as morning. If I am really hungry I will focus on the low GI foods - almonds, brown rice (90 second microwave stuff is fab), multi-grain vita wheat's etc.

Dinner:
Steamed fish and veggies (the birds eye microwave fish are great and taste surprisingly good when mixed through a garden salad or served on top).
Grilled or baked chicken with veggies or salad
Low fat lasagna (instead of cheese in each layer I use low fat ricotta and only cheese on the last layer)
Slow cooked meals like stews, apricot chicken, soups.
Homemade beef burgers with salad on wholemeal/multi-grain bread or rolls
Tuna casseroles
Grilled steak with veggies or salad

After dinner snack:
Weigh watchers chocolate mousse or ice-cream
home made low fat scone (my recipe uses no butter and wholemeal flour)
anything from the morning or afternoon snack list

Throughout the day I drink water, cordial, tea and coffee.

To be honest, when it came to the final 'light-bulb' I just knew I HAD to make it stay on. Younger sisters wedding certainly provided some inspiration I should add. The thought of being the "fat" bridesmaid was enough to scare me into submission.

I highly recommend keeping a journal to record and reflect your food intake, your exercise and the challenges you face. Over time, I'll post more of my reflections. Some make me cringe, some make me want to slap myself upside the head and have a mental hug at the same time, and others, well they simply make me laugh :o)

The trick is making the choice to switch your light bulb on and believing in yourself enough to let it glow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alfie! I'm just a lurker *cringe* or should I say non-blogger who stumbled across your blog and love, love, love it! It's terrific!! Witty, honest and well written- not to mention relevant to me and my past circumstances. I've lost the weight that piled on soo easily once I settled into a comfy office job and raging weekend social scene; and now enjoy all things health and fitness (ok, ok to a degree!) with my husband and 1 year old son. I still have bad days: food wise, image wise and exercise wise and find comfort in blogs like yours!
Anyway, this isn't about me- its about you and the congraatulations your blogging deserves- good on you!

Cheers
Lil

Girl About Town said...

Hi, I am new here via Essential Baby actually - saw your new hair photos (I love the cut btw) - wow, you are stunning! I have put on a disgusting amount of weight since I had my little girl - who's now four lol. It is such a hard journey, I commend you, you have done so incredibly well and you look fabulous!

Alfie said...

Thank you both SO much!! It means so much to me to think I am entertaining and helping people!

It really does! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)