Sunday, June 8, 2008

My Favourite Low -Fat Winter Soup Recipe

OK, so as requested, here is my first recipe.

This is the perfect low-fat, healthy, vegetarian soup to warm up with on those winter days! It's also very filling unlike the 'soup diet' versions!

Red Lentil & Vegie Soup

1 tbs olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 carrot finely chopped
1 celery stick finely chopped
1 parsnip chopped (like potato salad chunks)
1 clove garlic crushed
1/2 tsp cumin powder or seeds
2/3 cup red lentils
3 cups stock or water (any stock is fine/as is water)
salt/pepper to taste
1 tbs lemon juice

Throw ALL ingredients in a saucepan (or slow cooker) and leave to simmer for 40-60 minutes! When I make this soup I actually use about 3x's the ingredients listed above :)

Yep, this one is a fav!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Alfie, thanks for the soup recipe. I made it up this morning and have just had some for lunch. Yum it's so filling. I didn't have any parsnip so just subsituted it with pumpkin. I think this will also become a fav in this house

Slender Octopus said...

Oooh this looks like a good recipe :)