Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Rest Day!

I have a confession.........I'm a terrible fat-to-fab-Mamma at heart!

It's hard for me to write this here, it's hard for me to admit that at times, I too struggle with healthy eating and exercise. Hard to admit how much I still love the 'empty' calories in a glass or two of wine. How much I love real buttered popcorn and cream sauce based pasta! How much I enjoy slothing around the house in my pyjamas without a scrap of makeup and a great book in hand. (OK, I lie, I have a scrap of makeup on).

As much as I love the feeling I get after running, or lifting weights, the feelings generally come AFTER or part-way through. Until then it's a damn hard slog. Physically and mentally!

Meanwhile, a superb Merlot can be enjoyed the minute you open the bottle and get that initial waft of fermented grapes tinged with a hint of oaky spice. Or the second you walk into the movie theatre and feel the salty aroma of fresh popcorn smothered in butter and salt, tickling your senses and arousing your taste buds. They require little effort and can in many cases provide instantaneous comfort! Sadly though, they won't keep you fit!

It's funny you know, I used to see myself as a fat girl with a skinny one trapped inside. I knew that deep down, if you waded through the oceans of fat, I had a skinny me just dying to be unleashed. Dying to take my fat arse shopping, and dying to demonstrate self-control when faced with situations where I invariably let loose and would have my cake AND eat it too!

Now days I sometimes feel like I have a fat chick inside dying to let loose and gorge everything within a 5 mile radius! Dying to take a whole week (I lie, try a month - or a lifetime) off exercise, guilt free. Dying to justify being lazy and spending my days lounging around the house as I enjoy all the forbidden foods (and then try and blame it on a snake....or a male).

Tonight I have a confession......I donned my kompressors (hmmm, do I admit this.....compression based Lycra leggings which enable faster recovery after weight lifting and running - geek, I know!). My sweat bands were on, the treadmill was rolled into place and I had shipped Muscle Man, Jim and Bob out the door so I could get a 30 minute run without the interruption of family (more like so they don't see my arse bounce as I run). My iPod was charged, my favourite DVD series (Desperate Housewives) was in the player, and subtitles on. Yes, I was set to go.

Not 3 minutes into my run, I turned the 'mill off, folded it up, packed it away and sent Muscle Man a text message asking him to return as soon as possible with a bottle of Merlot, a movie and something for dessert!

Each time I have talked about "self-talk" I too need to take stock. I must admit that my self-talk these day's, whilst kinder, is also unrelenting when it comes to exercise. I find it quite hard at times to allow myself a 'rest-day', or treats without guilt. I am working on it though (easier said with a delish glass of wine in hand).

So, next time you have one of those days where you (like me) reach for the Merlot instead of the sweat bands, remind yourself it's OK because you'll hit the ground running tomorrow and some treats are simply to good to resist. Especially when you've earned them!

No comments: