Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bloated!

We have just had friends over for dinner and the traditional game of cards, 500 to be precise. It's been a long standing tradition to indulge our love of food and competition with these friends over a glass of vino (of course).

Muscle Man cooked a home mad pumpkin gnocchi pasta. Not too shabby for MM. I am however now so full that the mere thought of packing the dishwasher is alarming and encouraging my belt to expand of it's own fruition.

One thing I have learnt along this weight loss, healthy lifestyle process, is the need to eat slower, savour my mouth-fulls, and identify when I am satisfied and STOP eating. For years I have psychologically set myself up to eat everything on my plate, all the food in front of me -simply because it's there. I've also conveniently justified eating excess food by consuming an extra serving in recognition of starving families around the globe. Admirable thought perhaps, quickest route to excess weight gain guaranteed!

So, this week I am going to make it my goal to really think before I put food to my lips. To ensure that I am making a conscious decision regarding what I am choosing to ingest. I am going to try to think about the calorie content and aim to enjoy foods that contain a high nutritional value. I am going to think about wasted calories (such as found in soft drink) and choose to eat foods that will benefit my body, and fuel my energy levels.

I also need to remind myself that I am still nursing an infant. Bob is only 6 months of age and I have been a slave to the sweat and burn of exercise and conscious eating since he was a mere 10 days old. Sexy Twin was married 4.5 months after Bob's beautiful arrival into the world and whilst I don't regret the fact that I put head down, bum up to get into shape for Sexy Twins wedding, I do need to gently remember that I am nourishing not one, but TWO people with this amazing body (physiologically) of mine. Bob will benefit from healthy food choices and high water consumption also.

The human body is an amazing thing and I am constantly reminded of our need to care for, and nurture our bodies to ensure we individually reach our peak performance. Not to mention, this feeling that my buttons about to ping off my pants and hit me in the eye simply ain't pleasant :o)

No comments: